Saturday, June 21, 2014

Soccer Overdose

June 16, 2014

 
This week was pretty crazy. Everything is about the world cup. The day before the cup started, everyone was running around, preparing for it, all wearing their yellow soccer jerseys. The day of the cup, everything was closed, except the bars, and parties were everywhere! We went to the area of the zone leaders and watched the game with some members there, in one of the biggest houses I have ever seen, I wish that I had taken a picture of the house. It was amazing! We watched the game on a projector and every time Brazil scored, people would light off fireworks... every time.
It sounded a little like a war zone. It was so much fun, and the crazy thing is that all the people here say that Brasilia is very weak with spirit for soccer, that the celebrations and everything in other parts of Brazil are a lot better. I can only imagine what that is like. After the games of Brazil we have to go straight back home. But all the rest of the days we can work like normal, this is practically impossible... EVERYBODY is watching the games. The games usually start about 1 or 2 in the afternoon and every one will watch.. It is impossible to not watch the games.. haha I have seen more soccer in the last 5 days then I have in my entire life.. It is impossible to get away from it!
BUT better news then the Cup is that Claudio was baptized yesterday! It was a very sweet thing to witness. Half the ward was there to watch, and Claudio was so excited. He is old but he has the spirit of a child (That is what his wife says).  His son baptized him and their hug afterword was one of the moments that make all the hardships of the mission worth it. I am so grateful for that experience. Elder Queiroz and I sang a hymn as a duet for the baptismal service. That was nerve racking but it turned out ok! Two things that I never thought I would do on my mission 1. Play the piano for church and 2. Sing in front of a lot of people. What have I become! Missions truly throw you out of your comfort zone until there is no such thing as ´´nervous´´
Baptism!

I have a new companion! His name is Elder Xavier (Sha-vee-ear) He is great! He is from the very southernmost part of Brazil. He looks white, well he is white. He has blue eyes, and everyone thinks he is American. He has about 7 months on his mission and I am really excited to work with him! Even if half this transfer will be trying to pull people away from the TV screens.

I have passed 8 transfers on my mission and I have 8 more to go. I can’t believe how fast it has gone by and how much I still have to learn. I am so grateful for the time I had in Arizona to serve my mission. I will always hold that time close to my heart. The people I met there and the things I learned there I don’t think I will ever forget. As for Brazil, it is pushing me and making me give everything I have.  I am grateful to be here in Brazil, to be a part of this wonderful country. I have half of my mission left and I cannot wait for what will come!

I love you all! Thanks for all the love and support!

Elder Samuel Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment