Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Planaltina - Part 2

January 12, 2015
Elders

So today were transfers and I had to say goodbye to my good friend Elder Goodsell. He was transferred to a land far away. I loved this transfer and it was probably one of the fastest of my mission. The work was hard but it was so much fun too! Elder Goodsell is a GREAT missionary and will change lives here in Brazil! I am so grateful for the time I had with him but I am also grateful for a new adventure with Elder Semmler, my new companion. He is from Rio Grande do Sul. The same state of Brazil as Elder Xavier! He is a good missionary. This is his 4th transfer and we were in the same zone in Taguatinga when He arrived on the mission. I am excited to work with him and help Planaltina grow! Elder Laurintino stayed here with me but Elder Josephson left and Elder Shipley from New Mexico is his new companion.


Baptism!
This week was HOT! That made it hard to stay outside. So we tried hard to enter into houses but it was hard to get in. So, every night we were dead when we got home because the sun here just sucks out your energy. But, we had a great miracle happen this week. Andre was baptized! He is a great guy. He has been investigating the church for over a year but didn’t want to commit to baptism because he didn’t want to be baptized just for his girlfriend (who is member). We have been good friends with him but never pressured baptism on him because he doesn’t like when the missionaries do that. Last week we had a family night with him and his girlfriend’s family and we left a spiritual message with them. He told us after that he just felt good and that the church was the truth, and a few nights after he decided to say a prayer. He told us this time he REALLY wanted to know and that after his prayer he got his answer immediately! He is a great guy and he just understands the gospel and its principles and everything. During his baptism I just got the best feeling that this man will become great and that his life will never be the same. I think I have learned more from Andre than he learned from me!

This week was a little strange on the missionary sports side. We found out that there is a park where every Saturday a lot of people get together and play basketball, and they play so well! Many of them play for professional teams here in Brazil. The three Americans played a couple of games. We only won once! It was kind of embarrassing losing to Brazil in a sport that America dominates! But, here is the funny thing... We lost in basketball, 3 on 3. But, a couple of days later we played soccer, 3 on 3, and we won... yes, we won 10 to 9! How? I don’t know, but maybe we are turning more Brazilian than American now... lose in basketball but win in soccer..... Go figure!

The branch is going well, we didn’t reach are goal of 100 this transfer but we did get 82!  That’s not too bad! It will only continue to grow!

I love this work and I love the Lord. There is no place I would rather be!

Love you all!

Elder Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment